My hunt for the best gelato in Europe. On the way there should be interesting people, places, and my studies, of course.

07 May 2008

The Church Lady

As if I haven't seen enough churches and basilicas on this trip...I mean...uh...every church is beautiful in its own right, and today we walked around the city to see more of them.
Basilica di San Clemente

Below the church is, believe it or not, another church, and below that church is a house (domus) from ancient Roman times. There are so many layers and structures built in, around, on top of each other. Very cool.

A narrow "path," one wall built long after the first. silly architects...

Chiesa San Stefano Rotundo

I am actually a big fan of this church. Circles upon circles encasing each other. Very hard to draw by the way.

San Paolo della Croce

One of the chandeliers. You can see how they are all lined along the sides in the previous picture.

Fun arches outside the church

Basilica S. Maria in Cosmedin, a church that inspired Le Corbusier (or so I seem to remember...)


Beautiful handiwork in the floor mosaics (SO many tiny pieces!)\

S. Maria in Campitelli, located near the Jewish Ghetto, near our studio space

I love the domes.

I'm not planning on seeing any more churches on this trip, but only time will tell.

No comments: